I joined PlayWest to work on i-Patch Pirates in a late stage of development, around one month from release. I was responsible for tidying and polishing older systems, as well as implementing required new ones. My main contributions to the project were systems for achievements, tutorials, and a player-vs-player hacking minigame.
I worked in a group of four to create a flexible engine framework, with the aim of producing Mario Kart. To create the engine we used DirectX 12, I was responsible for creating our entire pipeline for 3D and 2D content. The pipeline utilised a number of custom binary formats and offline build scripts.
In a group of three we developed a top-down 2D strategy game where you play as an AI in control of a lab with the goal of secretly destroying a research project. I developed a toolset for generating configuration files which I then scripted support for in the game itself, allowing easy modification of map layouts, tilesets, and more.
I created a tool for developing text adventures through a modern designer-focused flowchart UI. This tool allowed for localisation across a number of languages, as well as the ability to very easily export your creation to a number of game engine implementations - including UE4, OpenGL and Unity.
While learning about level design, I created a fictional game titled "Accursed: Khulman's Tale" and developed documentation and a functioning demo for one of its levels. This was my first attempt at Unreal Engine 4 and allowed me to not only learn Blueprint through scripted sequences, but put into practice a number of level design concepts.
As a way to learn the process of game design I worked with a team of five to produce a board game named "Race to Mars" which we iterated upon to create a fun experience. Two of our group then continued with the project further to produce a networked 4-player digital version of the game in OpenGL.
A custom map for Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 created as a personal project to learn more about the game development process before starting my university course. It taught me everything from texture types to scripting for different player's approaches, as well as some unexpected things like community interaction and publicity.
I've developed a number of mods for Alien: Isolation, but perhaps my biggest achievement is the creation of the "Alien: Isolation Mod Tools" - a modding toolkit for the game allowing you to edit a vast range of game configurations including behaviour trees via a visual flowchart interface, realtime radiosity, and much more!
"TemplarGFX's ACM Overhaul" was a mod aimed to rework Aliens: Colonial Marines, providing improved graphical quality and AI behvaiour. I created promotional material for the project and helped with playtests of new mod builds. The project was covered in a range of online news outlets including IGN, PC Gamer, Polygon and Kotaku.
One of the earliest modding projects I was involved with was Evolution of Combat IV for Jedi Academy. For the mod, I produced an auto-updating launcher and developed the in-game menu system. I was also the "community manager" producing regular development updates in the run-up to release, as well as preview videos and a trailer.
This was a WebGL interactive pointcloud "tech demo" created during a 10 week internship for a Heritage Lottery funded project. I acted as lead programmer and network engineer. It was my first fully client-driven project and taught me a lot about working to a brief and managing expectations. The project subsequently recieved funding following the demo.
While working at Homebase I identified an opportunity to streamline the company's process of generating in-store signage for product displays. To remove the need for PowerPoint templates and the risk of human error with labelling prices, I developed a web platform to automate the process which is currently in use across a number of stores.
The ePlanner was a resource I created for my old secondary school, being a fully functional version of the paper planners given to students on-site. The project was very data driven with multiple account levels including the leadership team, regular teaching staff, students and parents.
One of many local organisations I managed websites for, Hub City was a popup Hip Hop / RnB club event in Weston super Mare. I created and maintained their website alongside managing all SEO including adding the event to Google Maps and displaying dates and details in the search results of current events.
I was approached by a local cattery to create a promotional video showcasing their facilities in an easily consumable style. After releasing the video they saw an increase in business and commented that it was the "best marketing money [they had] ever spent".
Voluntary Action North Somerset is a volunteering agency based in Weston super Mare which offers various services to volunteer groups in the local area. I worked with them for six months as part of my Duke of Edinburgh's award to create a video for National Volunteers' Week.
This was a feature-length film that I shot and edited over three months at secondary school, it was a great learning curve for me to find out just how challenging creating a full 45 minute film is - even a super low budget indie one! We premiered the film of an evening at our school and donated all proceeds charity.
I shot and edited a film for an employee at Autotrader who was nominated for an award at their yearly conference. To do so, I followed her around to a number of clients and interviewed them about their experiences of working with her and Autotrader as a whole. The final film was shown at the awards ceremony and the employee subsequently won.